Tuesday 9 December 2014

END OF AN ERA..... HELLO NEW THINGS!

The Joy of the Lord
Last month a preacher in church asked the congregation to acknowledge by show of hand if they had had an extremely great year so far, then those who had had a so-so year and finally a terrible year. Forgetting about appearing all prim and proper my hand shot up when the latter was called out. He prayed that God may change the tide for us, and to that I said the loudest Amen in that hall. Well, most of you know the story. My terrible year had to do with illness. Before this year my worst body discomfort has probably been due to cramps and tonsillitis…. now I can call it discomfort because after what I have been through I know I had never really been sick. It all began on 5th of January when I was diagnosed with severe malaria and for the next 3 weeks I was not in good shape. After that I had a good run until mid-May when I went for a routine check-up test and thanks to negligence of the hospital personnel, I have had to fight an aggressive bacterial infection for close to five months…. shuttling from one doctor to another, antibiotics upon antibiotics as well as unending tests. Basically, I have been unwell for an entire half year in total.

But today I am writing to say that God is indeed faithful. Yesterday one of my pastors shared a message on Whats-app, that God says ‘show me your faith and I will show you my faithfulness’. I feel that the circumstances I went through, was really a test of faith and if you read my previous post http://blissorblisters.blogspot.com/2014/09/when-heaven-is-silent.html, I failed miserably. I thank God for His grace and mercy and that He does not always accord us what we deserve. My rotten entitlement attitude during that period warranted a serious ‘beating’. But because of this grace, today I write to testify of God’s unconditional love and faithfulness. For starters I am now fully recovered. At this point, I wish to thank all the people who stood with me in prayers. And God has not stopped there. I can say that Hun and I are receiving blessings in double portion. Lately it seems like every day there is one or several ‘surprise love gifts’ from God. Seems the year will end on a very different note, and at the end of this month I will not say that this has been such a terrible year after all.

Our stay in Uganda expires in exactly one week. That is right, Hun and I are relocating back to Nairobi. Initially this also added to our stress levels! There was so much to consider and so much to do before we could relocate. One of it was to look for a house..… while away. While we had a very reliable family member helping us, turns out, good houses in Nairobi are like a mirage!! One minute it is there the next minute it is not. It has been emotionally taxing. Three times we rejoiced that we had got a house and all the three times the owners changed their minds or they decided to charge unreasonable rent. Thankfully, we eventually got one that we like in the exact area we wanted. Since then everything regarding our relocation has been falling in place…. the ducks are pretty much aligning. However, there were other problem. Leaving our wonder-filled friends…. you all know good-byes are never easy. Then there is Hun’s baby, FutureLink Technologies Limited and the church ministries that we serve in. These are especially difficult to depart from because of seeing what God is doing. Also for both the company and ministry work, there were challenges we have gone through as respective teams and leaving almost feels like a betrayal. But then in the midst of all God decided to show up and show off. Future Link Technologies recently got recognized among other Top 100 mid-sized companies in Uganda and my Green House team (Children Ministry) got awarded for being Mavuno Kampala’s Team of the Year….. all within the same week, and less than 2 weeks before we leave. The Ndoa (Marriage Ministry) team where we serve together also got an award at the 2014 fearless awards. These awards are against very many odds and as much as we know the respective teams worked hard, we must acknowledge God’s hand in it. We take it that He is releasing us and assuring us that He has ‘got it’, that it was never us…. it was always Him.

So that is Him…. the Boss. He orders our footsteps. He created us for His purpose and so has a plan for us. My near-2-years stay in Uganda was all in His intricate plan for me. I hope one day I will understand why He allowed the long months of indisposition. But even if it never happens I choose to rest in His word that says in Romans 8:28 that all things work together for good to those who love God.

So long our Ugandan family…. you have been great to us. Thank you for each and every one of you who touched our lives in any way. The last two years have totally changed my life in so many ways. I socialize more, our marriage got the foundation it needed, I can never settle to be a lukewarm Christian ever again, oh and I will take back with me the terrible English. I will tell people to ‘extend’ instead of ‘move’ and to ‘slope down’ instead of ‘go downhill’. I am not done yet: I will even try ‘fluke’ (read: sneak in) some of the slang I have acquired in my day to day conversations. I cannot promise this, but I will try use the word ‘shelling’ instead of ‘make fun of someone’…. though I will be careful at the size of the person I am telling just in case they misunderstand me since shelling means something totally different in my home country, and they might end up ‘assuring’ me (read: telling me off). I will also welcome back people at every opportunity, in fact, like I once witnessed from one respectful Ugandan lady as we were disembarking at Entebbe, I will welcome back Hun as soon as we land in Nairobi, even though we will have traveled together. Good manners just!!! Indeed Uganda will always have a special place in our hearts….. we have too many fond memories to take home with us and  by the way, I am not about to change my ‘Oh Uganda may God uphold thee’ ring tone any time soon. That is my prayer for Uganda.


To my Kenyan family, we are glad to be coming back home. You graciously ‘married us off’ and gave us your blessings as we, shortly after, set off to Uganda. We have had so many nostalgic moments of ‘home’ while we were here in the Land of Museveni. We are looking forward to reconnecting with long time friends and our wonderful family. Hun and I have changed as much as we have remained the same and I am sure so has each and every one of you. We hope you will receive and accept us with what you may probably consider as oddities here and there…. well most of them as listed above. Luckily “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” ~ Robert Frost quoted ~

No comments:

Post a Comment