Friday 21 June 2013

Bliss or Blisters? (Repost from 13 March 2013)

So its been four and a half weeks since tying the knot and two weeks since I relocated to the land of Museveni and I can confidently say that all factors considered, I am adjusting pretty well. I am finding Ugandans generally friendly and even though half the time I do not understand a thing they are saying to me, I do feel the love..... so I simply smile and nod and swiftly move along to discourage any more exchanges. 

So far I have settled on local brands of milk, bread and sugar (things I used to take for granted)... I did my first 'taxi' ride (that is a matatu) and alone for that matter, oh and they have no route numbers! The taxis or cabs as we know them, are referred to as special hire... or just special!

I am happy to have found me this lady who is awesome at braiding hair though at the down town (really down town). I've also learnt abit of the lingo, albeit the hard way, like when you are asked if you want a ''puff'' at the salon, they DO NOT mean a cigarette they simply mean ponytail and a hairband is therefore called a ''puff holder'' ......... while at it, may I also point out that dhania is called OATMEAL and arrow roots or 'nduma' are known as yams (sigh!)

In the past 2 weeks I have prepared more meals than I did in the last 1 year as a single (kumbe nawesmek). I am YET TO make my maiden matoke meal, hop onto one of these crazy boda bodas..... find a good brand of rice..... oh and am yet to complete unpacking 

No comments:

Post a Comment